A Trust is a legal arrangement whereby one party conveys legal possession and title of certain property to a second party, called a trustee. While that trustee has ownership, s/he cannot use the property for herself, but holds it ‘in trust’ for the well-being of a beneficiary. For example, trusts are commonly used to hold inheritances for the benefit of children and other family members.
Succession planning is a process for identifying and developing new leaders who can replace old leaders when they leave, retire or die. Succession planning increases the availability of experienced and capable employees that are prepared to assume these roles as they become available. Taken narrowly, “replacement planning” for key roles is the heart of succession planning.
We offer the following trust and succession planning advisory services:
- Pre-immigration planning using corporations, trusts and other arrangements
- Structuring and establishment of different trusts structures
- International estate and succession planning
- Setting up trust structures for major or controlling shareholders of listed companies, advising on transfers of shares to the trust
- Advising on trust distributions, reporting, filings, operations
- Restructuring, re-domiciliation and winding up of trusts, upon expiry of tax exempt periods, emigration and change of tax residency
- Review of existing trust structures to assess exposure to and compliance with local and foreign laws and regulations